Monday, September 7, 2015

Jolie's birth story

Well, I guess little Miss Jolie had plans all of her own, and decided she was going to surprise us several days early.  My actual due date was August 25th and my scheduled c-section date was August 19th.

That Friday, August 14th...we were going about our usual morning routine.  Brynn and I woke up, I had my coffee, fixed her breakfast and we were lounging on the couch watching cartoons.  We ended up having a pretty lazy morning which led into the early afternoon.  Steve finished his work early that day and joined us for couch snuggles.  I had been having braxton hicks contractions for a couple weeks so I wasn't really thinking anything of the ones that had been coming and going.  Around 12:15 while laying on the couch I felt a pop.  I can only compare it to feeling like a rubber band snapped inside of me.  I immediately said outloud, whoa! what was that!  Steve's reaction..."what?"  I said " I think maybe my water just broke."  So I decided to go to the bathroom.  While walking there I could feel the water trickling out but nothing like the gush that you see in the movies. So, I was still puzzled.  Did or didn't my water just break?!?!  I was scheduled for a doctors appointment that afternoon at 2:00 so I went ahead and placed a call before they went on lunch to see what I should do.  They told me to go ahead and go to the hospital.

This of course set me into somewhat panic mode.  I don't really like surprises and I am totally a planner.  This was not supposed to happen today, but hey I guess babies make their own plans.  I immediately called my mom and she came straight over.  I laid Brynn down for her nap, which totally made me emotional.  I didn't know this would be the time I would be leaving her.  I needed more time to be emotionally prepared for that I felt like.  It felt wrong kissing her before nap knowing I was leaving her for three days and she didn't have a clue what was going on.  I had decided that it was not a good time to tell her that I was leaving to the hospital right at that moment.  All my leaving for doctors appointments lately had been giving her anxiety and I didn't want to freak her out and leave.  We ended up having my mom tell her that sissy surprised us and it was time for her to come when she woke up from her nap.  Worked out perfectly and she was nothing but happy.
My mom assured me a million times everything would be fine and in the end she was right.

We proceeded to pack up last minute things and tie up all the lose ends before heading out. All the while I was leaking more and more and becoming convinced that indeed, my water had broke.  We finally headed out for the hospital and ended up getting there around 1:00.  They immediately admitted me, got me a bed, hooked up the monitors and started my IV.  Things were happening very quickly.  Just as quickly as I had gotten there did my contractions start and pretty soon they were steady at every two minutes and very painful to the point where I could not speak at all, only hunch over in pain until they passed.  This was all new to me, when I had Brynn I just went in for my c-section... no labor, no contractions.. nothing.  The nurse and anethesologist informed me that because I had ate breakfast that morning, I needed to try to be able to make it til' four or risk throwing up during surgery and the possibility of the vomit making its way into my lungs.  This of course freaked me out, and I was praying to make it til four.  It was a loooong few hours but just shortly after four my sweet sweet doctor swung open the curtain and said "whats going on here!!!!"  She was actually on her way to leave for vacation for the weekend with her family and stopped by the hospital first to deliver my baby...Just reaffirming why we love her oh so much.  I am honestly going to miss seeing her every week.

I kissed my mom and Steve goodbye and walked into the operating room where they proceeded to start my epidural.  I remember this being somewhat uncomfortable last time, but this time there was nothing to it.  She was awesome and I really felt nothing at all.  The only difference was having to wait and do it in between contractions, which was a tad nerve wrecking.  Things started quickly from that point.  The curtain went up, and they started the surgery and shortly after Steve was back by my side holding my hand.

 I remember laying there for awhile waiting for that immense pressure I remembered from last time when they try to push the baby out.  Eventually it was time and Steve said my doctor was on top of me with all her weight pushing the baby out, and that's totally what it felt like.  I had to keep reminding myself to breathe because it was that difficult.  A few hard pushes and deep breaths and I heard that sweet scream for the first time at 4:49 pm.  & just like that a flood of a million emotions washed over me all over again.  They held her over the curtain for me to see and I was in love all over again.  The second happiest day of my whole life.

Steve stepped away to cut the cord, and take pictures.  They announced that she was 7lbs 5 oz and I remember being shocked.  Shocked that she was so small compared to her almost 9 lb sister and shocked that just the day before they had estimated at our ultrasound that she was 7lbs 5oz.  Hit the nail right on the head!  Eventually they had her all wrapped up and brought her over for me to love on.  I was assured my entire pregnancy that I would love a second just as much as the first, and everyone was right.  My heart grew and melted all over again.  Instant love.  She was just perfect in every single way.  I never knew my heart could love this much.

Steve and the baby left shortly after and I was left to finish getting sewed up and get some rest in recovery.  Finally at 9:00 I got a room and my sweet Jolie was finally brought to me to nurse. My mom got her loving in and then left to relieve my brother and his girlfriend of their babysitting duties with Brynn so they could come and visit.   By the end of the night I was exhausted and just wanted to sleep, but we all know that is just impossible in hospitals.  By 4am the nurses were in my room having me get up and walk.  The pain wasn't too bad.  Pretty much just as I remembered it from the first time.

We spent the rest of the days in the hospital watching tv, eating food I hadn't had in monthssss, enjoying a few visitors, walking the halls and just oooing and awwwing over our new little girl. Our poor baby had to have her blood sugar tested so many times to make sure it wasn't low from my gestational diabetes and she eventually passed the four tests in a row and we were very thankful for that.  She ended up being a little jaundice towards our last day but just gave us directions to give her a little sunlight and she would be just fine.  Come Monday they gave us the go ahead to go home.  I was both eager and a little sad haha.  I could not wait to get home to Brynn but also knew that this would be when the real work would start.  It was another truly amazing experience.  One I know I will try to relive in my mind for the rest of my life.  It truly is the very best day of your life.

We got home and Brynn was just ecstatic to have her baby sister in her house.  And just in case you were wondering how these two are doing....great!  Lots and lots of kisses, mixed with lots of heavy petting and eye pokes ;)

1 comment:

  1. Adorable! Congrats on your beautiful baby girl!! Brynn looks like the sweetest big sister and Jolie is just perfect!!

    Hope everyone continues to do well, including you. I'm pretty apprehensive to have another c-section, not sure if M & M will ever be a big bro/sis.